BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Should I shave?

    So a couple weeks ago I was walking out of a quick stop when I noticed out of the corner of my eye someone walking a path to intercept me before I made it to my truck. So I sped up and he sped up. Then I slowed down and he slowed down. So finally I just stopped and asked if I could help with something. As it turns out I learned a few days later that this person was a kid that got hooked on drugs and never recovered from his addiction. He asked if I had any work he could do and when I told him no he asked for a couple bucks if I could spare it. I was walking out of the store holding a Coke and a bag of chips and figured I did have the money to spare since I was buying myself junk food. So I gave him the only cash I had and went on my way. The grand total was two dollars and thirty cents.
    About a week later I stopped back by the same quick stop to get me and Pete a drink for break time while we were splitting firewood. As I walked up to the front of the store I received a phone call. It turned out to be a wrong number. As a side note to all this it seems like I get more wrong numbers on my cell phone than anyone I know...pressing on...I hung up and looked across the street because a totally rad Dodge Challenger caught my eye. As I was staring off across the street a car pulled up in front of me and a well dressed man stepped out and walked over to me and said "Here you go, here is two dollars. I hope it helps." At first I looked at him like he was crazy. I hadn't asked for anything, I was just standing there. Then it dawned on me that he thought I was homeless and needed money. At which point I quickly made it known that I didn't need it but that I appreciated his offer and he went on his way and I on mine.
    I walked away from that experience with a number of conclusions. Firstly, there are still people willing to give their money to those in need. Second,even during hard economic times people can still be generous. And finally that I need to shave and not go to the store after work in my work cloths, I look like a homeless man...

0 comments: